Google+ Followers

Tuesday, April 17, 2012

A Cute Blouse (and Skirt) Made in A Day!

Make this cute blouse in a day! This is Simplicity pattern #2892. If you decide to make it, maybe my photos will help fill in the gaps as you follow along with my instructions below. I have done my best to illustrate step by step, but please follow your pattern instructions as well. A picture is worth a thousand words! I decided to do Blouse A, but since I only had 1 1/2 yards of fabric, I decided to make it with no sleeves as in view C. The only pattern pieces that I had to cut out were #1, #2, #3 & #4. I needed a size 10 based on measurements taken for chest, waist and hips. Carefully cut out your pattern pieces cutting along the lines for size 10. After cutting out all 4 pattern pieces, iron the pattern pieces on a very low iron setting to smooth out pattern pieces.
Follow the Cutting Layout guide on the insert inside your pattern package to pin your pattern pieces onto the fabric. Pay attention to the "fold line" as indicated on pattern pieces #1 and #3. Sorry but I didn't get a picture of my pattern layouts, but I do have a photo of the piece that was cut out below.
Cut out interfacing pieces. I use the interfacing that you can iron onto the wrong side of the fabric. See below.
This is the type of interfacing that I buy.
Trim 1/2" off of the interfacing on the seam side and trim 1/4" off the corners. See next picture.
Following the instructions, iron the interfacing to the wrong side of the fabric (pieces #3 and #4) as shown using low heat setting on your iron.
Mark pattern "piece A" with transfer paper and a marking wheel for the center pleats at the top. This is the front of the blouse. I used orange transfer paper and a transfer wheel to make my marks onto the good side of the fabric.
Following instructions: 1. To form pleats, fold along solid lines to broken lines. Baste the pleats into place either by hand or using your basting stitch on your machine. Press with iron (I use the "wool" setting on the iron.) 2. Remove basting then carefully lay pleats in place and "stay stitch" the neck edge 1/2" in from the outside edge.
Stay stitch around the back neck edges 1/2" in from the edge (pattern B).
Sew front and back pieces together at the shoulder. Always use a 5/8" seam allowance unless stated otherwise.
Cut out thin elastic pieces as indicated on your pattern guide.
Transfer mark from pattern onto back piece for the elastic using the transfer wheel and transfer paper. Sew elastic into place as instructed. (A photo is shown after the facing is sewn to the neck edge.)
Sew the side seams together.
Sew the front and back facings together.
EDGE FINISH the facing by sewing 1/4" away from the unnotched edge. Turn under along the stitching and iron into place.
Stitch or zig-zag over the edge as shown.
This is how it looks after.
With right sides together, pin the facing to the neck edge matching centers and shoulder seams. Stitch neck edge.
Trim seam and corners
Clip curves.
To understitch facing press the facing away from garment. Press seam towards facing. WIth facing side up, stitch close to seam through facing and seam allowances as far as possible.
Turn facing to inside and press under 5/8" on back opening edges.
Press under 1/4" on raw edges.
Starting at back neck edge, stitch 1/4" from back opening edge, stitching pressed edge in place.
To keep facing in place, secure at seam allowance by tacking by hand.
On outside, sew button to back opening edge opposite the loop.
Armhole edge: Trim off 1/4" of the armhole edge.
Open one edge of the bias tape. Pin tape to armhole edge turning under and overlapping edge at seam.
Stitch 3/8" from seam. Then trim the seam and clip the curves. Turn tape to the INSIDE and press. Baste close to inner edge. On OUTSIDE, top-stitch s basted.
HEM: Press up hem as indicated in the instructions. Press under 1/4" on raw edge.
Stitch close to inner pressed edge.
AND as my friend Joanie used to say Walla! It's done. My Granddaughter just loved her new outfit. The skirt was so easy too.
SKIRT: I bought pre-gathered fabric at JoAnns Fabrics. I trimmed the fabric using my rotary cutting wheel and clear ruler. I used the measurement of her waist, plus enough for the seam allowance. I stitched a 5/8" seam allowance all the way up the back (make sure you backstitch too.)
To show the front of the skirt, I cut out a piece of dark pink felt a little bigger than the flower button and sewed the two together to the skirt front. :)
Oh! And I couldn't forget this!!!! :)
She LOVED it!


P.S. Please let me know if you liked this post or if it helped you in any way by leaving a comment below. Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment